- Information about buses, boats and ferries in Hordaland (including Bergen tram (Bybanen) and buses): Skyss
- Airport Shuttle: Flybussen
- Bank cards are accepted on flybuses.
- Bus in Norway: nor-way
- Ship: Fjordline
- Train: NSB
- Stavanger and Haugesund are covered by Kystbussen
- For going to Førde, you may use Kringom
- Bus tickets and routes in Oslo: Trafikanten
- National travel planner for all Norway: www.en-tur.no
- Airlines that fly to/from Bergen:
- Scandinavian Airlines (rather expensive, but flies virtually everywhere);
- Norwegian Low-cost carrier (good prices, but seldom flights to some destinations);
- Royal Dutch Airlines (often much cheaper than SAS, and reaches lots of destinations through Amsterdam Schiphol hub);
- Lufthansa (expensive, but reaches Frankfurt directly — the biggest hub in continental Europe);
- Register for the reward systems of all the airlines you use, it will come in handy, not only for your private travelling, also because you will flight to conferences and academic events.
- You can get a public bike to move around the city, more info here
- Taxis: unlike other places, in Bergen there are more than one taxi companies, some of them are BergenTaxi, Taxi 1, Christiania taxi… Taxis in Bergen, and in Norway in general, are very very expensive.
- Uber: Uber is currently not available in Norway due to regulations.
Daily public transportation in Bergen
For moving around the city you will probably use the Bybanen or bus. Both are managed by a company called Skyss (there are also Skyss boats!). You can get your ticket in different ways:
- For individual tickets: in the ticket machine available at all stops, you can pay with cash or credit card.
- For seasonal tickets: you will need a Skyss card or use the Skyss app.
- You can get your card using the form online or asking at Skyss customer center in Bystasjonen.
- IMPORTANT! If you use your card you will need to activate it after buying a new seasonal ticket, otherwise you can get a penalty fee. The process is described in this website, section “Using season ticket”.
Free IKEA Bus
If you want to buy cheap home furnishing products, say linen, dishware, furniture and so on, it is best to consider IKEA. There is a store in Åsane, really close to Bergen.
You can arrive there by using the Free IKEA Bus, the stop is at Bystasjon. The schedule is available here.